Aug 26, 2008

Bernhard Gutmann Study of a Woman in Black painting

"Flunking nuisance, all the same. Now, Goat-Boy, let's see where to start on these notions of yours and Spielman's. I really am obliged to you for bringing Croaker Home." He laughed aloud, as if struck by an extraordinarily amusing thought. "Do you know, your distinguished keeper went so far once as to accuse me of making his girlfriend pregnant. Imagine!"
"You deny it?"
He opened his robe with a kind of giggle, and Croaker tickled him at once. "Do I need to? Stop that, Croaker! So." More seriously he said to me, "Let's start there. You see how I'm made; I had early a kind of infantile paralysis; it left my legs and the rest as you observe. And young Mrs. Stoker does not call me her father."
I acknowledged that she did not.
"Then one of two things is true," Dr. Eierkopf reasoned lightly: "Max Spielman is Anastasia's father --"
"No!" I repeated indignantly what Max had told me about his accidental exposure to EAT-radiation, which had destroyed his fertility. Dr. Eierkopf smiled and nodded.
"Is that so? Very amusing! Well then, if Spielman isn't lying -- by the way, Dr. Kennard Sear could verify that. . ."

No comments: