Nov 26, 2007

famous diego rivera painting

I will think. But before we part come here.' He stepped up to the pillar. `This was once a Holy Cross. Relics are not in my creed; but I fear you at moments - far more than you need fear me at present; and to lessen my fear, put your hand upon that stone hand, and swear that you will never tempt me - by your charms or ways.' ¡¡¡¡`Good God - how can you ask what is so unnecessary! All that is furthest from my thought!' ¡¡¡¡`Yes - but swear it.' ¡¡¡¡Tess, half frightened, gave way to his importunity; placed her hand upon the stone and swore. ¡¡¡¡`I am sorry you are not a believer,' he continued; `that some unbeliever should have got hold of you and unsettled your mind. But no more now. At home at least I can pray for you; and I will; and who knows what may not happen? I'm off. Good-bye!' ¡¡¡¡He turned to a hunting-gate in the hedge, and without letting his eyes again rest upon her leapt over, and struck out across the down in the direction of Abbot's

No comments: