Mar 31, 2009

Rembrandt Bathsheba at Her Bath

\
There was the sound of crunching. Then another troll’s voice complained, ‘They call this limestone? I call it tasteless.’
There was some more scrabbling. A third voice said, ‘Don’t see why we can’t eat him. Who’d know?’
‘You uncivilized troll,’ scolded Rock. ‘What you thinking of? You eat people, everyone laugh at you, say, "He very defective troll, do not know how to behave in polite society" and stop paying you three dollar a day and send you back to mountains.’
Victor gave what he hoped would sound like a light chuckle.
‘They’reelse. I mean, it wouldn’t have just tied me up. It would have hit me over the head with something.’
He reached for her hand in the dark. a lot of laughs, aren’t they?’ he said.‘Heaps,’ said Ginger.‘Of course, all that stuff about eating people is just bravado. They hardly ever do it. You shouldn’t worry about it.’‘I’m not. I’m worried because I walk around all the time when I’m asleep and I don’t know why. You make it sound as if I was going to wake up that sleeping creature. It’s a horrible thought. Something’s inside my head.’There was a crash as more rocks were pulled aside.‘That’s the odd thing,’ said Victor. ‘When people are, er, possessed, the, er, possessing thing doesn’t usually care much about them or anyone
‘That thing on the slab,’ he said.

No comments: