Jun 10, 2008

Rembrandt The Return of the Prodigal Son painting

Lysander riddles very prettily:Now much beshrew my manners and my pride,If Hermia meant to say Lysander lied.But, gentle friend, for love and courtesyLie further off; in human modesty,Such separation as may well be saidBecomes a virtuous bachelor and a maid,So far be distant; and, good night, sweet friend:Thy love ne'er alter till thy sweet life end!
LYSANDER
Amen, amen, to that fair prayer, say I;And then end life when I end loyalty!Here is my bed: sleep give thee all his rest!
HERMIA
With half that wish the wisher's eyes be press'd!
[They sleep]
[Enter PUCK]
PUCK
Through the forest have I gone.But Athenian found I none,On whose eyes I might approveThis flower's force in stirring love.Night and silence. -- Who is here?Weeds of Athens he doth wear:This is he, my master said,Despised the Athenian maid;And here the maiden, sleeping sound,On the dank and dirty ground.Pretty soul! she durst not lieNear this lack-love, this kill-courtesy.Churl, upon thy eyes I throwAll the power this charm doth owe.When thou wakest, let love forbidSleep his seat on thy eyelid:So awake when I am gone;For I must now to Oberon.
[Exit]
[Enter DEMETRIUS and HELENA, running]
HELENA
Stay, though thou kill me, sweet Demetrius.
DEMETRIUS
I charge thee, hence, and do not haunt me thus.

No comments: