Jun 3, 2008

oil painting from picture

""Danger is part of my trade," I remarked.
" "This is not danger," said he. "It is inevitable destruction. You stand in the way not merely of an individual but of a mighty organization, the full extent of which you, with all your cleverness, have been unable to realize. You must stand clear, Mr. Holmes, or be trodden under foot."
""I am afraid," said I, rising, `that in the pleasure of this conversation I am neglecting business of importance which awaits me elsewhere."
"He rose also and looked at me in silence, shaking his head sadly.
""Well, well," said he at last. `It seems a pity, but I have done what I could. I know every move of your game. You can do nothing before Monday. It has been a duel between you and me, Mr. Holmes. You hope to place me in the dock. I tell you that I will never stand in the dock. You hope to beat me. I tell you that you will never beat me. If you are clever enough to bring destruction upon me, rest assured that I shall do as much to you."

No comments: