May 14, 2008

Van Gogh Sunflower

'He knows the chateau,' he said to me; 'he knows it well.'
"'He is a rather tall man - well-built,' I suggested.
"'He is as tall as he wants to be,' murmured Fred.
"'I understand,' I said; 'but how do you account for his red hair and beard?'
"'Too much beard - too much hair - false,' says Fred.
"'That's easily said. You are always thinking of Robert Darzac. You can't get rid of that idea? I am certain that he is innocent.'
"'So much the better. I hope so; but everything condemns him. Did you notice the marks on the carpet? - Come and look at them.'
"'I have seen them; they are the marks of the neat boots, the same as those we saw on the border of the lake.'
"'Can you deny that they belong to Robert Darzac?'
"'Of course, one may be mistaken.'
"'Have you noticed that those footprints only go in one direction? - that there are no return marks? When the man came from the chamber, pursued by all of us, his footsteps left no traces behind them.'

No comments: