Dec 25, 2007

The Virgin and Child with St Anne

¡¡¡¡We had not sat here many minutes, when Mrs. Markleham, who usually contrived to be in a fuss about something, came bustling in, with her newspaper in her hand, and said, out of breath, 'My goodness gracious, Annie, why didn't you tell me there was someone in the Study!' ¡¡¡¡'My dear mama,' she quietly returned, 'how could I know that you desired the information?'
¡¡¡¡'Desired the information!' said Mrs. Markleham, sinking on the sofa. 'I never had such a turn in all my life!' ¡¡¡¡'Have you been to the Study, then, mama?' asked Annie. ¡¡¡¡'BEEN to the Study, my dear!' she returned emphatically. 'Indeed I have! I came upon the amiable creature - if you'll imagine my feelings, Miss Trotwood and David - in the act of making his will.' ¡¡¡¡Her daughter looked round from the window quickly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Virgin and Child with St Anne"