Dec 18, 2007

A Greek Beauty

I suppose I looked doubtful, for she added: ¡¡¡¡'Tut, tut, child. If nothing worse than Ale happens to us, we are well off.' ¡¡¡¡'I should think so myself, aunt, I am sure,' said I. ¡¡¡¡'Well, then, why DON'T you think so?' said my aunt. ¡¡¡¡'Because you and I are very different people,' I returned. ¡¡¡¡'Stuff and nonsense, Trot!' replied my aunt. ¡¡¡¡MY aunt went on with a quiet enjoyment, in which there was very little affectation, if any; drinking the warm ale with a tea-spoon, and soaking her strips of toast in it. ¡¡¡¡'Trot,' said she,
'I don't care for strange faces in general, but I rather like that Barkis of yours, do you know!' ¡¡¡¡'It's better than a hundred pounds to hear you say so!' said I. ¡¡¡¡'It's a most extraordinary world,' observed my aunt, rubbing her nose; 'how that woman ever got into it with that name, is unaccountable to me. It would be much more easy to be born a Jackson, or something of that sort, one would think.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A Greek Beauty"