Nov 26, 2007

The Water lily Pond

Ah - your husband - your husband! How strange it seems! I remember you hinted something of the sort the other day. What do you really believe in these matters, Tess?' he asked. `You seem to have no religion - perhaps owing to me.' ¡¡¡¡`But I have. Though I don't believe in anything supernatural.' D'Urberville looked at her with misgiving. ¡¡¡¡`Then do you think that the line I take is all wrong?' ¡¡¡¡`A good deal of it.' ¡¡¡¡`H'm - and yet I've felt so sure about it,' he said uneasily. ¡¡¡¡`I believe in the spirit of the Sermon on the Mount, and so did my dear husband... . But I don't believe------' ¡¡¡¡Here she gave her negations. ¡¡¡¡`The fact is,' said d'Urberville drily, `whatever your dear husband believed you accept, and whatever he rejected you reject, without the least inquiry or reasoning on your own part. That's just like you women. Your mind is enslaved to his.'

No comments: